The IP Principles
We are what we are and we do not pretend to be something we are not. Our word is good and we are accountable for the promises we make. In our personal actions and party affairs, we seek to exemplify the same fair, open, and democratic processes we advocate for our government. Before we evaluate others in the light of our principles we stand first in the light ourselves.
We are accountable for our actions or failure to act and it is up to us to generate the results we want. We readily assume the duties mandated by our purpose and we seek to manifest excellence in performing our agreed upon tasks.
We respect all people as equal human beings possessing certain inalienable rights, which include life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Each member has an equal voice and vote in our party and we conduct ourselves so as to honor the people and institutions we serve. As a party, we advocate public policy only where broad member consensus exists and respectfully leave action on other matters to the free exercise of individual conscience and discretion.
Political power belongs to the people and is only entrusted to those who serve in public and party office. In our endeavors, we work for the benefit of all citizens, not ourselves alone. Our job is to fulfill the expectations of those who have honored us with their trust.
All citizens deserve equal rights, protection, and opportunity under the law. In our Party and public affairs, we are ever vigilant to promote only those rules and laws which assure equity and freedom for all citizens.
As individuals, party and nation, we live in relationship with each other and the earth. While exercising our rights and pursuing our individual interests, we are also mindful of the good of the whole. As a party, we endeavor to articulate the public good through open democratic processes and then manifest that good in our communities, state, and nation
- Function as a Minnesota state major political party
- Endorse candidates for partisan and non-partisan public office
- Assist Independence Party of Minnesota – endorsed candidates in their campaigns for public office
- Assist Independence Party of Minnesota – endorsed elected public officials in their service in public office
- Advocate the enactment of public policy and laws that are consistent with the Independence Party principles, platform, and public policy positions
- Support Independence Party of Minnesota members for appointed public office
- Encourage and support citizen participation in the public political process
- Support and participate in similar activities at the national level.
US Party Affiliation
With 42% of the nation not finding a home with the Republicans and the Democrats, we need a strong third option. The Independence Party is that strong third option